Thread: A very long time ago in a far away land...

CTR1 is offline Junior Member

Default A very long time ago in a far away land...

My first time to New Zealand was in the 1960's enroute to Australia from Canada. I missed my connection to Sydney and stood outside the airport terminal a bit too long getting a sunburn on my nose that lasted the next six months!

But I got a free meal out of it, the airport manager bought me dinner and offered me a job (electronics) if I would stay in NZ! My guess is that immigration is a whole lot tougher nowadays...

I lived in Australia for a couple of years and while there the Mormon missionaries knocked on my door and claimed me as one of their own. I've been a Mormon since then and am glad of it.

My next stop in NZ was a two week trip to attend the Mormon temple in Hamilton. I recall landing in Auckland sometime in the middle of the night, rushing to a rental car and leaving so quickly I'd even forgotten to ask which side of the road I was expected to occupy while driving. :-)

But I managed, and seeing the LDS temple rising out of the early a.m. mist as if floating on a cloud is still a sight I'll never forget.

Not long after my wife and two children arrived in Hamilton and settled into some church housing for the duration of our stay a car stopped as we walked along a sidewalk carrying the youngest child. A Maori woman got out, opened the trunk/boot and gave us a baby stroller to use for our whole time there. All she said was to leave it near the housing unit door when we left.

That was my introduction to those wonderful people indigenous to New Zealand.

Not sure when my next stop will be in your great country, I hope it's not too far in the future.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi CTR1 and to Move to NZ.

Thanks for telling us your story. Sounds like you have hopes to return to NZ in the not-to-distant future. Perhaps you'll stay longer this time?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi ctr1
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009

CTR1 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Hi CTR1 and to Move to NZ.

Thanks for telling us your story. Sounds like you have hopes to return to NZ in the not-to-distant future. Perhaps you'll stay longer this time?
    Most likely just a visit. I got as far as Tahiti last year but just didn't have the time to keep on going.