Thread: To Sell or Not to Sell??

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Default To Sell or Not to Sell??

Well, as most of you will know, we've had our house on the market for quite a while now & nothing is moving in Scotland (like most of the UK) at all. We've not even had a viewer for over 6 weeks now.

Our dilemma is this. Do we leave as is ie. advertised on the web, signs up etc., or leave "officially" on the market but with no advertising which would hopefully enable us to possibly increase the price if we're still trying to sell when the market improves. Or take it completely off the market & try again in a year or so when the market picks up which would mean getting a HIP which we won't need if we leave on the market.

We're sick of living in limbo & don't really expect to sell anytime soon but what if we took it off the market & missed a buyer?! Not really looking for advice, but any comments & opinions most welcome!

Thanks for listening to my ramble!

KG
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Well it's not doing you any harm to keep it on the market and it isn't going to cost you any more to keep it on the market.

However the down side of keeping it on the market is if people are watching and have seen how long it has been for sale they may be put off looking- they might think there must be something wrong with it if it has been up for so long.

It's a difficult one really- have you spoken to your estate agent about it? How are other houses in the area doing etc. They might be able to advice you on what is best to do.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Blog Entries

Thanks, Beth. Yeah, I worried that people might worry it had been on the market too long but everythings taking so long to sell, I don't think it matters much at the moment. Nothings selling here, in the 5 years we've lived in this area, I haven't seen places stay on the market for so long.

Last time I spoke to the agent she didn't really know what to do either - she said she'd never seen it like this before. We've been through 3 agents so I don't think any of them know what to do!

If we leave it on, I think we just need to change our mindset a bit & try to stop this living in limbo thing!
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

If you leave it on the market but just live as though it isn't happening and live your life as you would if you weren't planning the big move. You might be surprised what comes along when you least expect it.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hey Sal,

IMHO, I would leave it on the market - like you said, I'd be worried about missing a buyer if I took it off! Given the state of the housing market, I don't think it matters too much at the moment about how long it's been up for sale - I don't think it will put potential buyers off. You've got nothing to lose by leaving it as it is, but everything to gain

The fact is, one way or another, you will be back in NZ at some point in the future, whether it be sooner or later. I know that's easy for me to say, as I'm already here but unless there is a way for you to get over here without your house selling, then it'll only be to your detriment to sit there and live in limbo, so try and just get on with life and enjoy your time there

Apart from the usual ideas of dropping the price or including some extra chattels in the price or something, I can't think of any other ideas to get your house sold quicker, but like Beth said, if you try and stop thinking about it, something may well come along when you're least expecting it

Chin up gal, you'll be here eventually and it'll still be sweet as

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

If you leave it on the market do you mean that you don't want it actively marketed but still want the signs up? Could you then increase the price if you wanted? This could lose you buyers. If you have it actively marketed will it cost you extra? The only downside of that as I see it is that you may find it difficult if you want to increase the price. With all that the government are rumoured to be possibly doing to kick start the housing market things will move - eventually.

I think I have waffled and don't make sense - sorry!!
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Would it be of any benefit to rent it out until things hot up a bit in the housing market? You could earn a bit of dosh in the meantime and, when the time is right, contact an agent to put it on the market for you. You could pre-arrange this with a reliable agent before you leave so they are aware of your instructions.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

No can do, MB - don't have enough equity - & we'd have to top up from NZ

steved44 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by keeweegal View Post
    Well, as most of you will know, we've had our house on the market for quite a while now & nothing is moving in Scotland (like most of the UK) at all. We've not even had a viewer for over 6 weeks now.

Our dilemma is this. Do we leave as is ie. advertised on the web, signs up etc., or leave "officially" on the market but with no advertising which would hopefully enable us to possibly increase the price if we're still trying to sell when the market improves. Or take it completely off the market & try again in a year or so when the market picks up which would mean getting a HIP which we won't need if we leave on the market.

We're sick of living in limbo & don't really expect to sell anytime soon but what if we took it off the market & missed a buyer?! Not really looking for advice, but any comments & opinions most welcome!

Thanks for listening to my ramble!

KG

Hi, We have decided to rent our property until the UK market picks up. This will pay our mortgage and give us something over to subsidise our rental in NZ. Its not a good time to sell at the moment so why do it. You will benefit more by renting. Good luck.

Steve and Elaine
    Job offer 7 July 2008
    Visa applications lodged 24 July 2008
    Work permit approved 8 August 2008
    Flights booked 23 August 2008
    Arrived in Auckland 25 August
    Started work 1 September