Thread: theorectical exercise for when you're bored to compare apples to apples

heidi is offline Member

Default theorectical exercise for when you're bored to compare apples to apples

Waiting the hour to get our passport application looked at (so that we have our new numbers for our eoi) I sat at one of the many free computers put there to pass the time....(for immigrants, job seekers etc)

I went onto the canadian immigration website and tried the points calculator to see if I could do in my own country what we're attempting to do for nz (get enough points to apply for residency). This is of course theoretical, because I am canadian, but since I am spending so many hours dissecting how to get into nz I wondered how it is for others trying to get into canada. I was pleased with the quick points calculator that we just passed (68 points and 67 are needed) I made it as if I had never lived here, OH doesn't have a job offer and we don't have family here (like we are applying for nz) so as to keep the apples to apples comparison.

It seemed a whole lot easier than the nz system!! But then as OH explained a large economy/country can absorb alot more without causing waves than a tiny country like nz (its a size of fishtank size analogy that explains alot actually).

I even went onto the job listings as if we were newcomers without any work experience here etc to compare what we'd find here with what we are finding in nz for OH---another very interesting excerise!! There were ALOT LESS jobs for him here in his field (which isn't the actual case because he is in the system here and has connections/experience etc. but I looked at it as if he weren't and was immigrating) and the pay was awful (similiar to the bottom of what he could get in nz if he had to restart--which hopefully won't be the case). A good eye-opener.

It was so interesting (the hour passed fast!) to compare costs, timelines and rules about the two countries and getting residency. If it weren't for the fact that I absolutely LOVE nz with a crazy passion, and don't want to live in our canadian climate anymore I would find it hard to justify picking nz over canada if I were a new immigrant. That is looking at the bigger picture (the apparent ease of the points system/requirements and the much better economy and cost of living, healthcare etc etc) canada would win out if I didn't have a preference already.

ok so that was a long ramble...if you're still reading this you must like theoretical nonsense as much as I do! Has anyone else compared their country (as if they were wanting to immigrate there) with nz ?

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Hmmm, hadn't thought of it. But I do like that sort of thing, so maybe I'll do it.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

kokopeli is offline God like figure

I tried this last year. We couldn't get into the UK because we've got too many vowels in our names and not enough members in our extended family.

heidi is offline Member

awww you must have not claimed the bonus points for sense of humour!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    I tried this last year. We couldn't get into the UK because we've got too many vowels in our names and not enough members in our extended family.

Vair funny, if not completely pc. Had to laugh in spite of myself. Tut tut Koko!!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I just spent 15 minutes searching through the US immigration site, and couln't find a quick-and-dirty test. The site is a pain in the tuckus, with lots of "refer to ___" and precious few links to "___". I'd have to really want to come here to wade through all that again.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s