Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's more important, money or service?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default What's more important, money or service?

Some recent posts on the forum and a few things I've been encountering lately have made me wonder what's more important to people - money or service?

What do I mean?

Lets say your washing machine breaks down - you want to engage the services of a professional, so you shop around. You get 3 quotes, 1 cheap ($100), 1 medium ($200), 1 expensive ($400). You ask around to see if anyone has had any experience with the companies involved, and get some responses. Company A are cheap, most people say their end result is the best around, but you could be waiting around a while to get the job done (lets say 4 weeks). Company B are medium, their track record is average and service is fair for their price (Start to finish in a week). Company C are hyper-efficent, and do an oustanding job (sorted in 24 hours), but are the most expensive by far (4x the cost of the cheap company). Who would you choose, and why?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Ginabridget is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

This has got me thinking, and I think for me that it would change depending on what it was for, but going with the washing machine example I would go for the middle one, where it took about a week and they had an average track record. I've gone for this one because I think that I would normally go for the cheapest one, but in this case I couldn't go without a washing machine for four weeks, I haven't gone for the most expensive one because at the end of the day they're only fixing a washing machine, not gold-plating it, the service charge shouldn't really be 4 x higher, so if I can save some money by washing my clothes somewhere else for few days then I'd wait for the one that's middle priced and could take a week.

For me I think that generally service is more important to me, but at the same time I'm not going to throw money away, so it's got to be genuinely great service on something that really matters for me to pay loads more for it.

Hmm having read that back over I really don't know which way I'm going.....is it going to be service, or is it going to be money...now I can't make my mind up. I think I'm sitting on the fence on this one, depending on the circumstance I could sway either way.
    26 January 2008 - House under offer, we're getting closer
    Feb 08 - our sale has fallen through
    19 March 08 - accepted another offer on the house
    Booked tickets, will arrive in NZ 4 July 2008
    Currently enjoying the 'weather bomb' in Northland July 08
    Anticipating a move to Auckland in the next few weeks - November 08

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I'd probably go for the middle of the road one, too. Where the most expensive is concerned, there comes a time when you think to yourself 'For a bit more money I could have a whole new machine and a guarantee.' I'm always a bit suspicious of cheap deals unless I can find someone to vouch for them. If I did find someone, or preferably several someones, I would think about taking on the cheaper option and finding some way of getting around the long wait for the repair.

I'm always one to try to save a buck, but not at the cost of efficiency or good service.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

I'm with Ginabridget - it depends on what it is. Like my boiler (those who have read the blog will know ) we went middle of the road and it still took 4 weeks to replace and still doesn't work properly. I would choose option 1 if it was something I could live without for a few weeks especially if the work was of a high quality. I very rarely go for the most expensive as you are normally paying for the name and not the work or product.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Yup, I'd go with Ginabridget on this as well, for the reasons the others have given.

On a slight tangent, we changed energy suppliers about 5 years ago when they were the cheapest. They are no longer the cheapest, but we have stayed with them as their service is second to none. So I guess if its a long-term supplier, I'm going with service as I've learnt the hard way its just not worth the stress of dealing with a company with shoddy customer service.

Interesting thread, Taffy
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I'd go for the most expensive one cos Taff's paying

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Good thread taffy.

Like most others it would depend on what had gone worng and what needed doing. I don't like wasting money or being ripped off but if something needs doing like yesterday then I guess you have to pay for that service.
    Cheapest isn't always best and if recoomendations can be got then that always helps.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

loopylu is offline Member

Providing they were able to do a good service then I would probably go for the cheapest option and wait it out... unless it was something that I couldn't do without... however having recently rennovated our house and gone without a toilet for 3 weeks... and many other nice things that previously I would have thought of as essential... I'm not quite sure what would fall into that category... and I am sure if I had children then my priorities would change and I would pay the extra cost to get it done quicker... hmmm... will keep thinking about this one...
    Arrived in New Zealand on WHV on 5th Feb '08.

Facebook ID: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=704762406

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

It's not so much the washing machine scenario that's important, so dont focus too much on price vs replacement in the example. What really tipped my interest over the edge to post this was Rho's choosing of a foreign exchange company. Nothing wrong with the choice, but found it interesting that although it was mentioned that World First guarantee the best rate and their service was highly recommended - but could be slow -Rho went for MoneyCorp as the efficient service experience made a real difference, even though in this case the exchange rate could cost thousands in 'lost money'. This isnt the only case of cost vs service I've seen recently, which will no doubt cost people many thousands due to their choice.

Personally, I'm more interested in how I'm treated and what comes out the other side. If it was poor service, then I wouldnt care what cost it was as I just wouldnt use them. If I was guaranteed good service and end result, that would be the one I go for as you know you'd never have to spend the money again or in the case of exchange would come out the best off you could be. Of course like most others, if it was urgent then it's urgent and you have to do whatever, but in general, thats what I'd do.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

We used World First when we changed our money and they were fab. We changed a bit to bring with us and left the rest because of the exchange rate. World First contacted us every few days to advise us of rates, even though we were travelling around. Every time it blipped and made alittle climb they rang us to ask if we thought we were ready to go. We changed a bit more at a time whenever the rate was good and the money was always through within 24 hours. When we changed the last big bit, they got us the closest rate to $3 - 1 it had been in 6 months. She rang us late one Friday afternoon to say that the rate had made an unexpected climb and would come back down at any second did we want to fix - yes we did. The money was through, the following day

Anyway sorry to pip in there - I would go for service every time. I do believe that you pay for what you get - not that that means that I wouldn't mind getting ripped off, of course I would, but it doesn't usually happen. Personal recommendation is always good and I always trust the way I feel about people. Have you ever heard those little warning bells ringing in your head but somehow you still go ahead and ignore them - well don't. Even if it's going to be hard work finding someone else or it's going to take longer to get things done it doesn't matter. If I don't feel right about someone or something, even if I don't know why, I walk away.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast