Thread: Be a part of a world-wide first!

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default Be a part of a world-wide first!

If you're not doing anything in particular at 7:30 EST today (that's 1:30 NZ time), a friend of mine is doing what may be the world's first live improv comedy webcast.

He's a very funny guy, and his friends are very, very talented improv artists. U'm sure fun will be had by all, and when he looks at his web traffic and sees hits from NZ and the UK, he'll be thrilled.

Here's the invite he's sent out:

Hello folks,

My improv comedy troupe is doing something a little experimental TONIGHT. We are broadcasting (on the web) a live improv comedy show from my kitchen at 7:30 PM EST. I am hosting the show in my tuxedo.

Log on tonight at Mogulus ? Channel ? (which is currently showing some of our movies). There will be a chat room where you can interact with the comedians and other audience members. It is still in the experiment stage, so it might be nice to have some supporters in the chat room. If all goes well, then we may lend out our web space to improv comedians around the country... maybe the world?

Here is an article about the event:
    Seacoastonline.com: Comedians take to the Web for interactive performance
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Darn, I missed it. How'd it go?
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Quote Originally Posted by selchie View Post
    Darn, I missed it. How'd it go?
    The parts of it I saw went pretty well. I was having some connection problems--no surprises there, since I can't ever seem to smoothly stream any videos here. I think the particular technology is a little limiting in that it was hard to both watch the chat in the right-side frame and the video in the center.

That said, John Herman is a new media wiz ... I'm sure that when he next tries it, they'll find a way to overcome the limits of the current platform.

As an aside, this was IMHO the coolest project John was part of:

On another front, Herman recently put together a CD. It started when he read about musician Jon Nolan's RPM Challenge in The Wire and decided to take its challenge to create a CD in 28 days. He had no band. And he's not a musician. But he is a former music reviewer for Pitchfork Media (Home: Pitchfork), an independent online site.

Herman contacted bands as far away as Italy, with whom he had no more than a reviewer's relationship, and made them into a single entity. He named the band The Man Who Was Thursday, after a book he'd read. Tracks were moved between participants, each adding to the work.

"No one heard the album in-progress, but me and Joseph K. Murphy. I'd get a banjo track from a player. We'd send the banjo to Italy and have them put a drum to it. I loved that. It's extremely collaborative." There may even be another "Thursday" CD in the future.
    He's going to be one of those guys who paid his dues for years and years who will one day make it big and everyone will write about him that he 'came out of nowhere.'
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008