Thread: Crazy?!?

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default Crazy?!?

McParking row as slow eaters given heavy fines | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited

The question of just how long it should take to eat fast food is being answered by the burger giant McDonald's, which is making customers finish within 45 minutes or face a charge of ?125.

Motorists who care to linger over their McMeals for any longer at some drive-throughs are receiving demands from a private company that manages car parks for the burger chain.

If they do not pay, the fee rises steadily and customers are threatened with court action and approached by bailiffs. A spokeswoman for McDonald's said the 45-minute restrictions had been introduced at about 40 restaurants because car parks were being abused. She said signs explaining the policy were displayed and leaflets given out.

<snip>

One motorist, Jamie Thomson, told the Guardian of his experience at a McDonald's near Gatwick: "I ordered a burger, chips, a doughnut, coke and coffee. I sat in my car eating my lunch, and listening to the radio. After eating, I continued to sip my coffee for a time, and ate my doughnut. Then I left. All perfectly normal." He says he was in his car for about an hour.

Several weeks later, he received a letter from Civil Enforcement demanding ?125, or ?75 if the charge was paid quickly. At first Thomson, a businessman from Sussex, did not even realise that he was being charged for spending too long at McDonald's, as the notice gave only a partial address.
    I wonder if this is on the horizon for NZ, too, since I've seen parking limit signs at businesses (including the malls!) here in Chch. I never thought they really enforced it, but I did see someone out checking cars at the Palms last week.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

This is just ridiculous isn't it. We already have to pay for most of the time we take up doing things - time literally is precious - and it's not free.

Burgundy'll tell you more about this but in France lunch breaks are two hours long. The savvy French realise you need to take your time over food - it takes half an hour for your brain to realise you've eaten and stop telling you you're hungry so you need to sit a while, enjoy your food (a glass of wine wouldn't go amiss), enjoy the time just sitting enjoying time. You shouldn't just be shoveling it in and running on to the next task. The whole of the mediterranean do it the same way, chill out, take your time, enjoy food, share it and make it an experience. The mediterraneans are some of the healthiest people in the world!

Why can't people be left alone to take their time at whatever they want to take their time at without having to pay for the privilege

Flippin beaurocratic, money grabbing, capitalist swine.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

I don't know any respectable French person who would enjoy a glass of wine over lunch ... why have glass when you can have the whole bottle?

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Well, I didn't wanna make that suggestion in case it compounded the myth of my alcoholism KH so, I'll just have the glass and you can finish the bottle
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

I will officially go on record as stating that having unfinished bottles has never been a problem for me.

Read that as you will.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Easy answer to this one. Don't eat at McDonalds.

I bet that put me in a warm place in your heart Dawn!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Thats exactly the answer. If I saw that sign anywhere, I'd drive on to the next one. I'm not being rushed for anyone, especially in a place like McD's where you already pay a premium for the food.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.