Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you an aquaholic?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Talking Are you an aquaholic?

A substitute for the baby's bottle maybe?

Water bottle addiction becoming more common
    Page 1 of 2 ......... 5:00AM Sunday October 28, 2007
    By Alice Hudson

They're everywhere. Plastic friends with fast-flow tops and people attached to them.

For some, the water bottle has become practically a fifth limb - dragged to the mall, the movies, the business meeting, the bedroom. But can you get addicted? And how much water are you supposed to drink?

Believe it or not, "aquaholics" are no longer a rarity in international medical circles. As sales of the now-fashionable water bottle continue to soar, so do the numbers reporting they just can't live without their bottle.

The benefits of drinking plenty of water have also become more confused - there's been a shift away from the "eight glasses a day" mantra.

Some scientists, including Robert Walker, head of Otago University's medical and surgical sciences department, now believe people should drink only when they're thirsty, that more water doesn't flush toxins, and that the eight-glass-a-day rule has no scientific basis.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    the eight-glass-a-day rule has no scientific basis.
    I'd heard that from my father-in-law, who was a biochem professor at an American University. He taught a foods course (one of those science for non-science majors courses) and was into debunking common food/health myths.

That said, I'm sure it doesn't really hurt, either, unless you're drinking so much water that you're not eating enough to get the vitamins that you need.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Actually, too much water can be harmful, and even fatal. It's called water intoxication. You really have to work at it, so drinking two or three liters over a day won't do it. If you sweat a lot and don't replenish electrolytes along with water, you can also suffer. Check out Wikipedia.

I find it interesting that so many people in California will buy expensive little bottles of water because they think the water in their tap is "impure", yet the bottled stuff often comes from a municipal source, too. I just keep refilling bottles from the tap when I need to carry water.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I drink a lot of water I also replenish electrolytes coz I do sweat a lot when exercising I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing the water I mean not the sweating that's defo a bad thing when it's my crotch area and makes me look like a need a tena pad i read that the more you sweat the more effectively your body its resources so the more you sweat the fitter you are? But then I thought what about all them big fat bloaters that sweat buckets then - like Meatloaf or Barry White that need mops on hand to soak it all up lest they should drown? Me's not knows man

Tell you what though. I have really clear, luminous skin, so luminous I glow in the dark I rarely get headaches I have sparkly eyes and a little cheeky smile I don't think the latter is anything to do with the water but I just thought I'd add it on
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    i read that the more you sweat the more effectively your body its resources so the more you sweat the fitter you are? But then I thought what about all them big fat bloaters that sweat buckets then - like Meatloaf or Barry White that need mops on hand to soak it all up lest they should drown?
    I'm not sure whether I come under the super-fit category or the big fat bloater one as I sweat profusely . I guess I've got an excuse because of the climate I currently live in and also because I suffer badly from hot flushes. I find it very difficult to drink a lot of fluids and have to force and remind myself to drink. I've always been this way and, if I do manage to down a fair bit of liquid, I often feel very bloated afterwards so damned if I do and damned if I don't.

The only times I feel really thirsty are if I've been outside and sweating a lot (but, oddly, it doesn't work the same for sweating inside ) or if I've eaten something very salty. I can always tell when I haven't drunk enough because it results in constipation (nice topic with soggy crotches and constipation ). I must admit to often feeling the start of dehydration, which, thankfully, I've come to recognise and can react to accordingly.

I've heard it said that the more regularly you sweat, the easier it is for your body to sweat e.g. with athletes who exercise a lot, because your pores are always open. Roll on the winter when my pores can take a bit of a break.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by selchie View Post
    I find it interesting that so many people in California will buy expensive little bottles of water because they think the water in their tap is "impure", yet the bottled stuff often comes from a municipal source, too. I just keep refilling bottles from the tap when I need to carry water.

I find tap water here in the UK tastes better than the bottled stuff - and it's cheaper
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Blog Entries

I think that there's some leeway in how much water is enough. If I notice my fingertips looking shrinky-wrinkly, I figure I need water (like now). If my extremities get all bloaty, then perhaps I've got too much salt and not enough water. If I'm constantly thirsty & possible lightheaded, even though drinking a lot, I get myself a bit of salt. If my urine's really concentrated, I figure I need to flush them kidneys with some good ol' H2O.

The positive thing about people guzzling bottled water is that they're probably not drinking loads of soda pop. Some folks do look a bit silly, resembling a hamster at the water bottle.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.

Burgundy21 is offline Member

I've watched this thread for a while waitingfor someone to say it, no one has, so here is my opinion.

Water is vital to life. Plastic bottles are not. Better to re fill or use a tap, love your kidneys but protect the planet, I know as I live in a culture where you see entire trollies full of water bottles at the checkout....carbonated, still, 'slimming' (yep) and now the red Badoit, not quite as fizzy as the green Badoit....the flow is endless. The bottles when finished are often just tossed in the countryside or re cycled using energy that we could save if we didn't buy it in the first place.

Let's launch a new water , call it 'Free' then let on it's available in your kitchen!

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy21 View Post
    Let's launch a new water , call it 'Free' then let on it's available in your kitchen!
    Here, here Ooops - sorry, wrong sort of fluid
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    Here, here Ooops - sorry, wrong sort of fluid
    But it's mostly water!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast