Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too British to be British

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Angry Too British to be British

I give up.

THE Red Arrows have been banned from performing at the 2012 London Olympics as they are too BRITISH.

Barmy organisers claim the popular RAF display team’s military background “might offend other nations”.

The Sun Online - News: 2012 snub for RAF daredevils

Petition to: Allow the Red Arrows to Fly at the 2012 Olympics.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Yeah, cos there's been SOOOO many protests against the Red Arrows up to this day that letting them do a display would likely cause rioting.

Don't the organisers realise that they actually do world tours? They'll be banning speaking English next, as you don't get much more British than the English language.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

According to the government petition site it is not the government but the organising committee who make the decisions

I bet the govenrment still have a say in the matter. Now I know why I want to leave the UK. You get the impression it is a sin to be proud of your heritage

British and proud of it!!! But willing to become a kiwi if they'll have me
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Hmmm ... is the Sun England's version of Fox News?

Reading the article, it seems to me that the key word is 'militaristically' rather than 'British.' Of course, the headline makes it seem otherwise.

I love this quote: 'They?re not an expression of our military power ...' What else would half a dozen fighter jets be? An expression of love and compassion for the world?

I've never understood the whole flyover thing in the US either. It certainly isn't for the crowd in the stands. It takes a whole 1.5 seconds from their perspective and wastes so much fuel and money it isn't funny. Of course, it gives the yahoos a chance to chant 'USA ... USA,' high five each other, and dream about bombing Iran.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I hate hairy-chested militarism, but I do confess to enjoying seeing the Blue Angels (US version of Red Arrows) at Fleet Week in San Francisco. I'm so conflicted But considering the tetchy condition of world politics right now, I think that having the Red Arrows perform for the Olympics could be seen as aggressive to some nations.
    Last edited by selchie; 29-09-2007 at 12:57 PM.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

I don't have anything against the precision flying squads, air shows, etc. per se. When I was fortunate enough to be in St. Louis in July for the VP Fair (the only reason to be lucky to be in STL in July) I always caught the big airshow at the Arch. Thanks to Lockheed, it was always a doozy--stealth bombers, Harrier Jets, etc. Great to see in the right context.

In a similar vein, I really enjoyed the changing of the guard ceremony at Fort Quebec in Quebec City. Same idea, I guess.

I just don't think that the right context is the Olympics. The Olympics are supposed to be about coming together in the spirit of competition and settling our differences on the playing field.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I always look on such displays as pure entertainment, not giving any thought to the fact that they may be seen as threatening or militarism. Had it been a fly past and display of the RAF fighter planes' prowess, maybe it could be seen in that light, but the Red Arrows are purely for fun and their job is to entertain, not to go to war. Everyone knows this.

If you're going to deliberately look for symbolism in these displays, I guess you'll find it but, if like me, you watch it only for entertainment, the thought shouldn't even enter your head. If the Olympics are being held in Britain, it stands to reason that Britain would want to show off it's best features and the Red Arrows is one of the (few) things that Britain has left to be proud of. You only have to watch such a display in another country, as we did here last year , to feel the immense pleasure and awe that the people felt after watching it. There wasn't a negative emotion in anyone present at the show, only tremendous admiration. Their faces were glowing and it wasn't just the heat. Britain needs all positive vibes that it can get these days.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    British and proud of it!!!
    Good for you, I'm not. Can't think of an awful lot to be proud of to be honest. Britain's crap and as for the Red Arrows save it for air shows and Remembrance Day, macho, testosterone fuelled antics! When did they last have a tittied feminist, pacifist piloting one of their planes? Eh eh?
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

I am proud of my nationality but not necessarily my country as it is now.

Back in history being british stood for a lot - just look at the way the country came to gether during both world wars. But the country has gone down the pan but the inherant 'britishness' is still with some of us and always will be. We don't have to like the country or even live in the country to appreciate what our ancestors did for us and stood for and to try to live up their examples. I hope I can bring some of this with me to my new home in NZ. I will embrace the kiwi life and culture but will always remember and respect where I came from.

Don't mean to get all maudling and argumentative but I live in an area where people are even afraid of showing the St George flag or celebrating a christian festival in case it offends others who are not british. If we are multi-cultural we should be able to respect and appreciate each other without fear of recrimination. And this issue with the red arrows just shows what a bunch of sissies we have running the country.

Sorry in advance if I have offended anyone, it was not my intention.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

kokopeli is offline God like figure

FWIW, I think the Red Arrows should be allowed to put on a display on the basis that they're good at what they do. Their shows usually last 10 - 15 minutes and are great entertainment. Besides, their planes are at least 30 years old so they don't fly combat missions. They'd get shot down in the first two minutes if they did .....

The debate about 'Britishness' is always an interesting one for me. I don't think I know anyone who wants to be British anymore. I personally blame Tony Blair (remember him?) but that's a different story.

I'm proud to be English, but it seems that we (the English) are no longer allowed to express or enjoy our Englishness. I'll give you a few examples.....

1. Back in England, my local pub has been denied an after-hours extension on St Georges Day for the past five or six years. Apparently, St Georges Day doesn't warrant a celebration. And yet the same pub is always able to get a late licence for St Patrick's Day!?!

2. The UK National Census form in 2001 offered choices of British, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Pakistani, Indian and Bangladeshi under the category Ethinic Origin. This seems to be pretty standard on most UK government forms. I write British for my nationality and English for my ethnic origin. Funnily, I usually have to write English in the box marked 'Other'.

3. The English national teams (football, rugby, cricket etc) have to sing God Save the Queen, which must be the worst dirge ever written. And they only get to sing the first verse, which lasts less than 30 seconds. The Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish get to sing proper songs that stir the senses and get everyone fired up.

4. Every other national team gets to sing the full version of their anthem at international sporting events. Take the South African anthem Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika or God Defend New Zealand. They both last about ten minutes. And then teams like Tonga, Samoa and the All Blacks get to perform a Haka. There's no wonder the Springboks beat England 36-0 in the rugby - the England team fell asleep during the anthems!

Being English is part of who I am. It's a shame that the people who get so fanatical about political correctness so often see it a one-way street.......
    Last edited by kokopeli; 04-10-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast