Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Add your words to the Dictionary!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Add your words to the Dictionary!

Have you ever thought of a word, and believed it should be a real word in the dictionary?

Well, now's your chance!! Oxford press wont add your words, so post them here. All words should be unique (not in the english dictionary), must be pronouncable and be formatted in true dictionary style.

Word (Pronunciation) - Explaination

For example:

Warb (Wore-B) - To walk with ones bottom swinging side to side.

For fast reference, go to http://www.dictionary.com to check if your word exists.

Go on, have a go!!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I think many families have words that are peculiar to them only, usually made up by kids. Sometimes they are misheard words ... like in our family "any foggles?" means "any phone calls?".

Have a very topical word, though, that I think I made up as a kid which is "frectimo" (frek'tee'moe). It means (to us) being in a state of excitement/thrill/fear/happiness/dread that you get in situations like doing something you have been looking forward to but nervous about ... a bit like emigrating. I may have even come up with the word when first emigrating with my family at 12 years of age. When the emotion becomes too much we know it as being in a state of "high frectimo".

Would that count?

:smiley4:

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Everything counts in this dictionary! You have 2 words for us then, 'Foggles' and 'Frectimo'!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Delumptious (Dee-lump-shus) adj. Exceptionally good or wonderful, tasty, particularly pleasing.

One of my most commonly used words. Kind of a cross between scrumptious, delightful, delicious and lush. It just works...in the same way swear words do when you're just too angry!!!!

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Of course, I can't think of any home-made words when asked. But here's one obscure compound word we picked up and use quite often: "disconfect" (transitive verb), used for the action of blowing or rinsing off an edible item after it gets dropped on the floor, in order to make it safe for consumption.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Do you often eat food off the floor then Selchie?

Anyway, I'm most definitely in a state of high frectimo at the moment cos we are going back to Wales for a holiday on Monday , so I'm just going to check for any froggles from my mum while I have a delumptious (that is THE best word in the world lol) cappuccino

nattydread is offline God like figure

Cuthbert is a word we use to describe bread or rolls etc that have gone stale..

i.e. Is there any bread? Yes, but its a bit cuthbert..

Blog Entries

At least a cuthbert is easier to disconfect than a fresh roll, even if it is less delumptious. And no, Welshgirl, we don't eat too many things after they fall on the floor - especially if the cat hair sticks to them. We save the fallen stuff for company lol:
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.

kiwi_fairy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by selchie
    Of course, I can't think of any home-made words when asked. But here's one obscure compound word we picked up and use quite often: "disconfect" (transitive verb), used for the action of blowing or rinsing off an edible item after it gets dropped on the floor, in order to make it safe for consumption.
    yeah!!!! I need to tell that one to my family. We do the same thing. 'Course it's totally different if you drop food on a friend's house floor. It's too gross to eat then.

Blog Entries

Yep. Family cooties are different from other people's cooties. Not to mention the stuff their pets track in. Yick.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast