Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Listen to this one!!

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Listen to this one!!

Listen to this guys, we took Becky our 12 year old daughter for her heaf test today, the one to determine whether or not she needs the TB injection. The nurse said she had to ask my daughter a question which she was ashamed to ask, but had to as part of the rules now. The question? Are you pregnant?

I was so shocked, I had no idea they asked that, and felt very sad that this is something they have to ask now 'because many 12 year old girls are pregnant'. her words not mine.I told her this was one of the many reasons we were leaving this country.

Is it me? :icon_frown:

Andyok is offline Member

recently there was a program on Sky Travel, it was a bit dated but I do remember them saying that NZ had a high rate of unplanned pregnancies similar to that of the UK. But I can sympathise with you and your daughter and probably more so for the nurse, she probably hates having to ask the question all the time.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

That must be mind blowing for some kids. I'm sure there are many 12 year old girls who dont fully understand what being pregnant is all about (and how they get that way in the first place) so could probably be quite traumatising to some.

True about NZ though, it does have it's teen pregnancy problems, as well as a high rate of STD's among youth (somthing like 1 in 5). The govt are doing something about this with their "No rubba, no hubba hubba" campaign.

I imagine it's hard for youngsters to properly protect themselves, if you don't live in a huge city, as it's almost a guarantee that the local pharmacist knows your parents!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

kiwi_fairy is offline Senior Member

The county I live in has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the entire state. isn't that horrible? :icon_cry: My heart just goes out to these young girls.

Now i'm shocked! I didn't think you would be aloud to have sex in NZ until you were at least 35. :icon_lol:

That's blow my idealism out of the water on that subject then, Thanks guys. :icon_wink:

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

In fareness tho, it's not really the countries fault about teen pregnancies. I wouldn't see it a reason to leave as such. Whats more depressing is the guidance issued to encourage such cases to kill a living being inside of them because 'they won't be able to cope'. Because of course the mental trauma they suffer in later years is irrelevant.
    Unfortunately it's just evolution. :icon_frown:

kiwi_fairy is offline Senior Member

oh man...don't get me started on abortion. :icon_rolleyes:

Oh we better not start to get too deep on those subjects, although Steve I wouldn't leave a country solely for that one issue, Having three girls I worry about the state off social issues and i would blame a country for the moral decline through their descisions. My girls are bombarded day and night by crap in the media, in schools, ie peer pressure and even a little too much familiarity from the teachers sometimes. I am amazed at the content in girls magazines and the like and having worked in schools the young age in which they tell our kids things that I didn't know until i was 14/15. They are forced to grow up far too quickly, hence the problems we are now discussing!!

That's just my opinion though :icon_wink:

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Saraian, I trust your daughter was more or less OK with such a question, at least in understanding that it had medical implications and was a possibility for her.

I'm glad that NZ acknowledges that teens have sex, and try to educate them about STDs and pregnancy. My heart goes out to today's US children who may very well be just as ignorant about sex as I was 30 years ago. It's one of the many socio-political issues in the US with which I have problems. That's all for my political rant. Shutting up now.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Yeah I appreciate thats a sticky issue for sure, I want to leave the country because of the decline of morality in the youth of today but I don't blame the government for it as such. Unfortunately in this case I am running from such problems, with the vain hope that it won't be quite the same elsewhere.
    Don't get me wrong the government can be responsible for things indirectly but it's how much you broaden the picture and how much cause and effect you want to get into, but directly, no blame can be placed I think. It's just human nature.
    Lets not forget tho, all this was going on hundreds of years ago also, it's only modern(ish) culture that has set the new boundaries of right and wrong.
    I wasn't questioning your reasons for leaving at all BTW Sara. Just generalising.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast