Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food

nessie is offline Member

Default Food

Where better to ask about food than the cafe :icon_razz:

Not that it will particularly influence any decision to come over or not, just curious whether you can get:

HP sauce
    Black pudding
    Indian herbs and spices ie turmeric, coriander as 'Asian' generally is south east and not the UK idea
    English mustard

There were loads of other things but I can't remember them now :icon_frown: Anyone with any 'We can't find....' tales?

And yes I am partial to Vegemite :icon_lol:

Fordy, not nessie

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Food

Hi,

HP sauce - yes
    Black pudding - not sure, don't like the stuff so never looked, but i'm sure you can!
    Indian herbs & spices - yes, heaps of them around
    English mustard - yes

We can't find:
    seedless jam
    frozen cheese & tomato pizzas
    decent sausages!

Welshgirl
    :026:

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Default Food

[quote:d3ee77afb6="Welshgirl"]We can't find:
    seedless jam
    frozen cheese & tomato pizzas
    decent sausages!

Welshgirl
    :026:[/quote:d3ee77afb6]

Can't help you with the jam, but Countdown do frozen cheese and tomato pizzas (and ones in the fridge but I just chuck em in the freezer anyway - on offer last week - 2 for $5 - bargain!).

As for sausages, I know what you mean. They're a bit strange over here - all seem to be pre cooked and pork 'flavoured'! We've been eating the chicken sausages - they're really nice. Especially the chicken and cheese ones - sound a bit strange, but trust me, they're really nice. All the kiwis seem to go for the pre-cooked 'Sizzlers' which aren't too bad (cheese ones are the nicest!), but they're not like proper English sausages...

Let me know if you find any more!

Jod
    :icon_cool:

nessie is offline Member

Default Food

Can you get jam with seeds ok?
    I'm guessing pre cooked sausages are de rigour for the barbecue, so you don't get the charcoal pork lolly you do in the UK :icon_rolleyes:
    What about proper back and streaky smoked bacon?
    Or haggis?
    Is lamb kidney or liver dirt cheap?

Blog Entries

Default Food

Jam with seeds in is every supermarket, in just about every flavour you can think of! It's just the seedless variety that there seems to be an absence of! (unless anyone can enlighten me!....)

I confess to being a Richmond sausage fanatic back in the UK, but haven't found anywhere here that sells nice ones yet, so a case of a bit more trial and error methinks.... The first sausages we bought were 'pork flavoured', but were made from lamb & beef :icon_confused: - why not just make them from pork in the first place????.....

Bacon is generally smoked, although you can get unsmoked. The most popular (at least in the supermarkets) seems to be streaky & middle bacon - haven't found any back bacon yet... Maybe I need to pay a visit to the Mad Butcher?.....

In general, fresh meat is very cheap, and good quality - that goes for the veg too.... Convenience food on the other hand, is not so good and can be rather pricey, so good if you like cooking from scratch, not so good if all you like is to throw a frozen lasagne in the microwave!.....

Probably some of you who are already in NZ are thinking 'what is she talking about, the food is fine'! - but this is just what i have found so far....... ::): Maybe I'm just too fussy :icon_redface:

For a reasonably priced, usually quality brand, the Signature Range (sold in most supermarkets) is a safe bet..... And watch out for a few rebranded popular names from the UK ('Heinz' is 'Watties', & 'Wall's' (ice-cream, etc) is 'Streets', to name a few.....).

Oh, I want my Asda & Sainsbury back.... :icon_rolleyes:

Welshgirl :icon_razz:

moggy is offline God like figure

Default Food

[quote:3fc8b1707c="nessie"]
    Or haggis?
    [/quote:3fc8b1707c]

You could just make it, it is dead easy especially if you cook it in the microwave. (ducks as no doubt some purist will accuse me of heresy)

I would have thought that with the number of scot descendants in the south of the South Island that you would be able to get it there, may be worth trying to see if any of them do mail order.

nessie is offline Member

Default Food

Had never thought of making it before, but I guess with the Scots and it being made of sheep bits that don't get exported it should be available :icon_biggrin:

moggy is offline God like figure

Default Food

[quote:fb2ba42688="nessie"]Had never thought of making it before, but I guess with the Scots and it being made of sheep bits that don't get exported it should be available :icon_biggrin:[/quote:fb2ba42688]
    I've done various different recipes, but i always include some lamb mince, I prefer to add pigs liver rather than lamb, go easy on the suet, oatmeal. chuck the lot in a food processor, season, then put into a strongish plastic bag, twist the neck to form a rough seal, but so that the air can still escape so the bag doesn't burst, then put it into a bowl so that it gets a rough haggis sort of shape (pointy corners just don't look quite right lol)
    then cook it in the microwave on a medium heat till cooked. Its a lot easies than the traditional method.

a totally none tradtional addition is poppy seeds and sunflower seeds, but is rather nice.

Terra is offline Junior Member

Default Sausages

Welshgirl,

For nice sausages, try the Blackforest Gourmet Butchery by Palmers in Chapel Street, Tauranga. I assume you are still in TG.

Blog Entries

Default Food

Hey Terra,

Thanks a lot for the tip but we actually moved to Hamilton a month or so ago, so I fancy Tauranga is a bit far to go for sausages now! Good excuse to pop down the Mount though, if I've nothing better to do on a weekend! :icon_wink:

Any ideas from anyone for sausages a bit closer to home in the meantime?

Welshgirl :icon_biggrin:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast