Thread: Gob Smacked? I should say!!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Gob Smacked? I should say!!

Well, we are speechless!

We went to buy a car today, spotted a very nice 1997 Mitsubishi Galant, so took it for a spin...

Lovely car, decided to buy it....

Went through the usual bargaining you do with car salesmen, managed to get $2000 knocked off the price...

Nothing too unusual so far...

We're waiting for the money from our house sale to be transfered, and it will be with us by next Tuesday. So I asked the guy what deposit he would need to hold the car until then.

He said... Give me $500 deposit, take the car, and come back with the money when you've got it! He then took it and put $35 of petrol in!

Now, you tell me.. where in the UK will a car salesman GIVE you the car for just the deposit, AND fill it with petrol, and just tell you to come back when you have the money?!?!?!

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

What a great guy!

Aren't the kiwi's a trusting bunch? I can't believe some things that we come across here that would DEFINATELY not happen back in the UK cos it involves a great deal of trust between everyone.

We went up to stay at Daz's cousins bach in Whangarei when we first got here, and after driving up from Auckland and arriving at the bach, we strode up to the door and Pete said "Ooops! We left the door unlocked last time we were here - oh well!" - they hadn't been up there for the past 3 weeks so the place was left unlocked and empty for all that time!

I know this isn't quite as shocking as your salesman letting you have the car before paying for it, but it just shows how trusting they all are here.

Like you say, I LOVE THIS PLACE TOO!!

Lisa is offline Senior Member

This is so great, I had to read it out loud to Hubby, Thanks for sharing Taffy and Jodie :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool:

When we were travelling back in 1997, heading to NZ we met a Kiwi couple in Tonga, we spent a few days with them at the backpackers and got quite friendly, they said 'when you get to Wellington come and stay with us' we thought yeah right, but soon realised they really meant it. We called them when we got to Wellington and they collected us from the station, gave us keys to their flat and car and said come and go as you please :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif we were amazed as really they didnt know us that well but they trusted us, we had a great time and are still in touch. :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
    Lisa

netchicken is offline Senior Member

We had some American / Israeli's stay with us who were incredulous that you would have a stall on the side of the road with just an honesty box for people to put their money in and no person. They said the box itself would be gone in the hour..

We also went to a home building supply, drove in one end, loaded up the van, drove to the end and just told the guy what we had in the back. It was all OK. They said you could never get away with that overseas either :)

cal
    cal is offline Member

Default Re: Gob Smacked? I should say!!

[quote:702e91ad5a="Taffy"]Well, we are speechless!

We went to buy a car today, spotted a very nice 1997 Mitsubishi Galant, so took it for a spin...

Lovely car, decided to buy it....

Went through the usual bargaining you do with car salesmen, managed to get $2000 knocked off the price...

Nothing too unusual so far...

We're waiting for the money from our house sale to be transfered, and it will be with us by next Tuesday. So I asked the guy what deposit he would need to hold the car until then.

He said... Give me $500 deposit, take the car, and come back with the money when you've got it! He then took it and put $35 of petrol in!

Now, you tell me.. where in the UK will a car salesman GIVE you the car for just the deposit, AND fill it with petrol, and just tell you to come back when you have the money?!?!?!

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!![/quote:702e91ad5a]

Hi Taffy,

I know exactly what you mean... when we were over at Easter we rented a house from a couple for a week. It turns out that it was their own home and they just rented it out when they wanted to go away for a week or even long weekend! They had a loyalty system on all their food i.e. just replace what you eat, although they were happy for you to consume perishables from the fridge and fruit/veg from their garden without the need to replace. As you can imagine all their possessions were available for use barr a few treasures that they had locked away purely to avoid damage, no consideration of theft.... we were amazed :icon_surprised: at both their genuine friendship and generosity.

We also rented a car and the guy just said leave it outside, unlocked and with the keys in the dash when you are ready for going home!!

Life is too short to be suspicious of everyone. I think the Kiwi's have got the right idea and I am going to throw myself 100% into that way of thinking when we arrive on the 17th Jan!!! :icon_mrgreen: