Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cars, Cars, Cars!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Cars, Cars, Cars!

For all of you thinking of making the move out here, most of you will need a car.

Well, if you dont already have a liking of japanese cars, then you'd better develop one... and fast!

Probably 80% of all cars and vans on the road here are japanese. The only real exceptions are the likes of Ford, Holden and a smattering of european cars like BMW, Mercedes, VW, Citroen and Peugeot, not forgetting the occasional Rover!

Coming from the UK, you'd be hard pushed to find a Ford you'd recognise, but when it comes to Holden, you'll have a few suprises. Looks like Vauxhall/Opel have got their foot in the Holden door as they sell re-badged versions of the Astra and Vectra. They also have modified versions of the Omega (Commodore) and Carlton (Also Commodore), but they are quite cleverly disguised.

Well, i'm sure I've bored you by now, so I'll leave you with something I found quite amusing...

Does anyone remember (from the UK) the old Mk II Vauxhall Astra? There are a few here, again re-badged, but by Pontiac! They are called a Pontiac LeMans! Such a sporty title just doesnt befit an old Astra!

Well, I found that amusing anyway....
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

And another surprise - Holden's (ie Vauxhalls) seem to be very desirable over here. They even sell Holden men's clothing in Farmers! (a smaller version of Debenhams.)

Can you imagine buying your man a Vauxhall/Ford/Rover clothing from Debenhams? :icon_wink:

I find it quite amusing..... ::):

Jod

Blog Entries

:icon_lol:

I've seen those, not an especially desirable range really. Funny how they are so desirable, and how much pride is taken in them, yet Holden is an Australian company!

I thought Kiwis hated all things Australian!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Holdens threw me for a loop when I got here. In America we have Ford vs. Chevy (and Chrysler, but they are the step child everyone forgets...and got married to Mercedes).

The Ford's are different. I must say the Falcon is a nice one, compared with it's brother the Taurus in the states. Less of a bug. The Taurus was released here but it bombed.

Ok, Holden's. They are Chevy's! GM is the worlds largest automaker, and they own Opel, Holden, Chevy, etc.

There's a big Holden factory here, so Kiwi's can justify it since Kiwi sweat went into making them.

What really made me laugh is in the US we have a car named the Chevy Cavalier. It's a smaller 4 door car (which is medium here). The car is a direct translation, no changes (other than the driving side). But it's a Toyota Cavalier! Not surprising since Toyota and Chevy cross market products in the US, but I'm pretty sure the Cavalier is Chevy technology (yuck! :icon_mad:).

I'm a Ford man, so my biase against Chevy (aka Holden's) may show. Don't know if it was apparent in this post ;)

Blog Entries

Ahh didnt know there was a Holden factory here too!

There could be a huge debate about the whole GM/Holden/Chevy/Opel/Vauxhall thing. Fact of the matter is, its just funny when you are so used to seeing a brand you are familiar with, totally re-badged and being passed off as something else!

We'll just have to settle for them all being GM, cos they cant collectively be Chevys or Opels or Holdens as they are individual brands. Much like Ford owns Jaguar, Rolls Royce and Lotus etc. Although at least those cars have their own identity! GM has no imagination!

In fact, GM also stands for Genetically Modified, which is exactly what they have done with their cars! Modified them a little to make them genetically part of a different family, whilst fundamentally being the same car!

Ok, so maybe thats a bit off track....

Oh and I'm pretty sure (I may be completely wrong) that GM dont actually produce their own engines, they are a chassis manufacturer which tend to use japanese engines like Isuzu and Toyota, so may well be why you have those 2 cavaliers. Not uncommon for a 'Technology swap' between maufacturers.
    Taffy

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

[quote:d2f0b399e1="Taffy"]GM has no imagination!
    GM also stands for Genetically Modified[/quote:d2f0b399e1]

Couldn't have said it better myself! And aren't Genetic Modifcations really taboo in NZ? ;) All the fruit is smaller than in the US.

Yeah, I was wondering why Kiwi's supported Holden so much. When something like that bothers me enough I'll 'google it.' Like does Wal-Mart own The Warehouse? Is KMart the same KMart from the US?

Wal-Mart has no foothold in NZ at all thank goodness. And KMart was the same company, but the Aussie company bought the shares out, and they are independent. That's a good thing since KMart in the US went bankrupt. They are still surviving, but a shadow of the old KMart.

And milk is still bad for you :icon_razz:

Guest Guest

Default cars cars cars

GM has imported a Holden sport coupe to the US and badged it as the Pontiac GTO. They are having trouble selling it here mostly due to long memories of the what the GTO muscle cars from the 60's were, and the failure of this GTO to catch the American eye with it's current styling.

GM is certainly not very creative these days. What went around comes around again eh?

cheers,
    Tom

Coulliette is offline Member

Thank goodness Wal-mart hasn't tried to take over NZ. That is the most evil place on the planet... :icon_mad: I feel the same way about Wal-mart as Carman does about milk. It's bad for you!! :icon_biggrin:

Coulliette

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Up until the 70's we had british cars, but they were really expensive, then the tax dropped and the 2nd hand Japanese car invasion happened and they just all disappeared over about 5 years. I've had a Triumph 2000, and a hillman hunter in the past.

here are some old cars you see around, from the West Coast of the South Island
    [img:2943d994cc]http://stuffucanuse.com/Odds_and_Sods/winter%202004/oldcars.jpg[/img:2943d994cc]

bugeyeguy is offline Junior Member

Default cars, cars, cars,

Are you guys saying that there is no demand for someone with prior British Car restoration work on his CV to work in NZ?
    There goes another of my options to be self employed! :icon_mrgreen: Kidding!

How about opening a bakery that does artisan breads and New York Bagels? Any demand for that?
    Cheers,
    Tom

Selected from the pool Sept. 29 with no job offer... nothing has changed since then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast