Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jail in Oxford

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Jail in Oxford

Don't commit any crimes in Oxford (Canterbury Province) as you may end up going to jail in something that looks like a doublewide outhouse. Sorry, I didn't get a picture of it, but I'll try when I go back down.

dan-ish is offline Junior Member

Default Cheers, James

Hey James,

Thanks for that. I'll avoid commiting any crimes there. Is there anywhere alse that I should avoid partaking in criminal activities, or is it okay in most other towns? :icon_wink:

Dan-ish :icon_razz:

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Jail in Oxford

I cant say I'd advise anyone to partake in any criminal activites, anywhere in NZ. I'm pretty sure they dont like that kind of thing.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Default Jail in Oxford

We've beenw atching Police Ten-7 and the Motorway patrol on the TV over here, and it seems that the NZ traffic police are really nice! Just an observation and it's probably all out on for the programme, but they seem to be real understanding if you're caught speeding or anything, and they're really friendly! :icon_biggrin:

Don't know if it'd be the same if you'd commited a crime tho..... :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

Jod

Default Re: Cheers, James

[quote:b0bf907895="dan-ish"]Hey James,

Thanks for that. I'll avoid commiting any crimes there. Is there anywhere alse that I should avoid partaking in criminal activities, or is it okay in most other towns? :icon_wink:

Dan-ish :icon_razz:[/quote:b0bf907895]

Hmm. Outside of the towns, away from the police it's usually ok.

If you commit a crime and don't get caught, was there ever a crime committed? :icon_twisted:

Sorry for that deviant thought. I promise I don't partake in criminal activity. Does speaking against milk count? Oh, and if you hear of any milk factories being blown up, me and Al-aqtose have nothing to do with it ;)

Coulliette is offline Member

Default Jail in Oxford

Jodie:

It is nice to hear that there are nice police in NZ, not that I plan on misbehaving, but all the police shows here in the states have officers that are real jerks. And I think they enjoy looking like jerks....ah, to be surrounded by nice people. :icon_wink:

Carman and Dan-ish:

Great! Now you've gotten us all on a nationwide criminal watch list! :icon_lol:

Coulliette

dan-ish is offline Junior Member

Default Serious for a second

Hey Crims,

I have to get serious for a second now. Sorry. I suspect the traffic cops are understanding in that they use their common sense when they've pulled someone over (unike lots of UK cops). However, they do crack down really hard on people who drink and drive. I don't know if Jodie or Taffy have seen any adverts on the telly, but when I was there they had some really hard-hitting ones, and anyone who has been to NZ has no doubt seen the crosses on the sides of the roads? It is apparently a bit of a problem, although they do seem to be trying to do things to sort it out. So, yes the police are understanding if you are not an idiot - kinda makes sense, huh?

:icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

Dan-ish (aka Dan) :icon_razz:

Default Jail in Oxford

I sure am glad I read that cops are nice here. They are. I met 2 of them yesterday and drove back to Auckland in the back of one ;)

Seriously, I was in an accident. And getting down to Christchurch from an hour south of Auckland wasn't going to work. So me and the guy that I wrecked (I was passing and ran out of room :() rode home with one of the officers from Auckland. Neither one of us were hurt thank goodness. And the cops were pretty nice. After all the stuff that's happened to me here (money/passport/etc stolen on my 2nd day) I was starting to feel a little overwhelmed. But they were understanding, and nice.....so what could have been an opportune time to make someone feel horrible, they didn't.

Default Jail in Oxford

Well, the car rental place sure is nice too!

As I was leaving the lot from filling out the accident paperwork I heard...."James, James! Do you still want to take a car down for us?"

Looks like I may be able to complete my trip afterall. (and this car has a CD player, so I won't be bored to sleep when there isn't any radio reception. That in itself makes it safer!)

In completely unrelated news....Taffy's meeting last night was cut short since some driver ran into a power pole and knocked out the power to the town.:icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif That guy, was NOT me. :icon_biggrin:

Now about the mishap at the local dairy producer.... :icon_cool: Just kidding!

Oh, and the rental place has a web site. Figured I'd link them since they've been so nice - www.drivenz.co.nz

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Jail in Oxford

Yes indeed, it must be labour weekend when kiwis start killing themselves with their cars.

I was having a few beers at this rather popular venue, Brewers Bar, with Mr Paul Goddard himself (he promotes the bands that appear) when someone very selfishly wrapped themselves round a power pole, knocking out the area.

All we heard (over the top of a screetching punk/rock band) was an almighty bang, and there was darkness.

Still, managed to have a good chat with Paul about life for him in NZ and listened in amazment to the totally kiwi things that happen in life.

Just out of interest to any music fans out there, don't expect the likes of boyzone to feature heavily in your life. Pop music is generally not an appreciated form of music. NZ is very much a rock/punk music orientated place.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast