Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uncrazy Canuck, how's it goin, eh? :)

jpegan Guest

Default uncrazy Canuck, how's it goin, eh? :)

Greetings from Vancouver!

We are a global family: my husband and I have lived in the UK, Germany, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Australia and Canada (him), as well as the US, Canada and Australia (me). We both hold multiple passports (he's ABC, Aussie, British, Canadian; I'm Canadian, Irish, American). But we always agreed we'd retire to NZ one day: lots of friends, a smattering of family, and a compact version of British Columbia with more active volcanology and warmer water.

As fate would have it, I'm about to get an offer at the U of Auckland in a semi-senior (Director/Associate Prof) role. According to the EOI my education, job offer, etc adds up to a whacking 195 points. Although the uni no longer sponsors for residency (they do the work to residency visa) I'll file a parallel application for the residency so I can get that nailed down as soon as possible: I don't want to wait 7 years for citizenship - I feel a strong obligation to participate in the political process in society.

I'm a bit concerned about the medical though. I have a couple of health conditions that wouldn't be a barrier to Canadian immigration (depression and acid reflux, both controlled by medication very very well). Anyone have any experience or knowledge about how these might go?

Anyone else who's made the move from Vancouver to Auckland? We've been to NZ over a dozen times and have a clear sense of what we're getting ourselves into. Happily, I might add!

Thanks! Merci!

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

jpegan

It is only 5 years to citizenship not 7. If time was an issue you can get a work visa and then apply for your residency in the interim. I am no expert on the medical issues but it doesn't look bad from here. They are looking for things that will be a drag on the health system like a chronic ailment that will be expensive to treat or could turn into something more serious. Others can most likely comment on that aspect better than me.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

jpegan Guest

Hiya Cliff,

If I spend two years on work-to-resident, then become resident, isn't it 5 years after I get residence rather than 5 years after I started working?

chasingsun is offline Junior Member

Just wanted to say Hi , we are in Mississauga, Ontario and about to start this process of the big move to NZ, We have travelled al ot , worked in OZ for 18 months been to Nz 5 times,,

If you want to share experiences with the process of paperwork and the move, That would be good to have a canuck to share with....

jpegan Guest

Default take off, it's a beauty way to go.

Fantastic--that would be great! I have a job offer in hand and am now trying to figure out which tack to choose. My EOI was accepted yesterday and is currently under review. At this point my options may include:

+work to residence visa (easiest option to get their fastest, but requires applying for residence later)
    +skilled migrant visa (longer processing time, but one transaction
    +family class (my husband has Australian citizenship and therefore right of residence...but I'll be arriving before him)

What's your strategy so far? Timeframes? I'll probably be in Auckland one way or another by September.

We are going to submit a EOI in the next month.. My sons dont have passports yet they are 8 months and 2 years, I think i need to get them before i can submit..

I think we are going skilled Migrant as my BF is a Food Technologist, and a Resercher for foods so he is on the skilld shortage list, we also have family out there who can let us stay with then until we find jobs and a house.

We are aiming for next August to leave Canada as My family in UK have booked flight to come here next Summer so it gives us alittle more time to get organized and make sure we have everything..

Where are you going to live and work..

How did you go about the job offer,as there are 2 amazing jobs for my BF that he would love to do..

I thought moving to Canada was stressful enough but this is scarier, maybe because ihave kids now, whoch is the main reason for going, I want them to have a ocean to play in and beaches and nice communities and good schools.. There is not a lot around this area for them to do at this age..

I am also crazy and taking my pets with us, 3 cats and a dog, I couldnt leave them behind.. So even more planning

What is the difference between skilled and work to residence visa, as we are in no rush yet should we just do t eh skilled....

jpegan Guest

I'm an academic and most (all?) universities and polytechnics in NZ are the approved employers list: they can offer work to foreigners almost as a matter of course. I've kept my eye on the university's HR website and a job came up a few months ago that was a good fit. I applied, assuming there might be an inside candidate and probably some qualified local ones. Apparently not! Interview was done via Skype and offer made, renegotiated and (about to be) signed. They will also facilitate the immigration process and pay up to $1,000 of the fees. Plus the ENTIRE move. UofA gives an entire container for a couple and 2 containers for a family with one or more children.

Not bad, eh?

So we'll be in Auckland, somewhere in the city. We could buy right away but we'll rent a flat for a year and then revisit the property market. I'm very much an urbanist, café culture kind of guy and I'll also be able to walk or cycle to work. My sister-in-law has a fab house on a mountaintop 40km north of Auckland, replete with sheep, dogs and farmland. Beautiful, but I'm not keen on being so far removed or to commute an hour each way (if the bridge is backed up). Most of our friends are in Auckland, save a few in Christchurch.

Apparently the work-to-residence visa can be processed much faster--if everything's included and there's no major issues, as quickly as a few weeks. Depending on where it's process a skilled migrant visa will take months--probably at least 6. Apparently Canadian applicants for skilled migrant visas apply to London, as in the UK? I would've expected Washington DC if not Ottawa.

That sounds Awesome...

I read that we have to submit to uk, which is strange but is good as well because i am a uk citizen soi t should help with the fact my kids and partner are canadian and i am not.....

I am trying to get my house valued to see when to sell as er can always move to rented until we go.... We plan to sell everything and just take the kids good toys, books and dvds, no furniture or electronics.. We hope to settle around Hamilton area, i like big cities to visit but couldnt live in one.. I hate going to Toronto with 2 little ones, I remember Auckland was so busy..

I do hope we go thru with it as we are both a bit nervous..

jpegan Guest

But I hope you've registered their births with the UK authorities. :)

Quote Originally Posted by jpegan View Post
    But I hope you've registered their births with the UK authorities. :)
    I didnt but just checked and you dont need t oif they were born inCanada... They can both have british passports and citizenship because i was born there and have a british passport..... Phew i didnt even think of that.......

The biggest problem we see is if we come back to canada to live my PR will have expired so i will have to apply again, which sucks but we will just have to make sure we like it out there and stay... I like Canada but where we live is not great for kids... and England is not much better..

Are you taking alot of stuff with you or just going with bare minimum..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast