Thread: homebrew

thedans is offline Member

Default homebrew

Anyone into homebrew in NZ? I have started getting into it here in the US, but nothing too crazy to bring my stuff over. But would be cool to see if anyone is into it over there. Or does everyone just drink it rather than make it?! :)

People Space is offline Senior Member

There are quite a few people into it here - enough to support small home brew supplies shops around town, so you should find plenty of company. One of my neighbours brews his own beer.
    Also, in NZ stills are legal, so you can make your own spirits, you just can't sell the product.

Sounds good! So far I have made a few batches, and they were ok, I guess... haha.. the first batch was a little gnarly, and the second was better but still nothing to be too proud of! Anyway good to know homebrew is thriving in NZ, and I may have to look into making some spirits! Thanks!

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

My partner does make homebrew. While I'm not normally a beer drinker, I do like what he makes out in the garage, LOL! It's a bit more potent than the stuff you buy. And we always keep the spare bedroom ready for guests who have a bit too much. There are already more than enough problems with people drinking and driving in this country.

Have you looked online to see how much beer costs here? When we were back in the states a couple of years ago, we found Steinlager in one store and it was actually cheaper in the US than in New Zealand, even with the conversion rates.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

yea... i just checked on prices.. i will not be drinking beer in NZ! haha.. with that said, i may have to think about getting my homebrew equipment over there!